To make the T-shirts, do the following:
- Set up a computer and printer in the classroom. Have students take a good picture of their face and print it. I use PhotoBooth for this. Students go to the picture stand, take their photo, and print it one after another.
- Hand out the number activity guide which includes a T-shirt template.
- Allow students to work with calculators to complete and check their work.
- As students work, observe their efforts and listen to their conversation. This observation will serve as a good initial assessment of student effort and need--an assessment that will inform future lessons.
- Have students complete the task in pencil, check the work with a friend, and then check with you. Coach students with regard to correct completion of the work. When complete, have students write over the numbers and words with a fine line pen, write their number on their t-shirt and add the fact data to the front of the T-shirt or just below, tape their picture on top and hand it in for a class bulletin board that will display all the students pictures with a title such as "Teamwork Matters: Marvelous Mathematicians."
- When students are done, they can work together on the enrichment activities included on the number activity guide.