Wednesday, August 10, 2016

How Do You Keep Up with the Research?

Boaler's research points to the advantage of collaboration for students, and
it can be inferred that this collaboration works for educator development too. 
I received an invitation to sponsor a learning event within my school system. It was a clearly outlined invitation, the kind of invite I support when it comes to creating dynamic learning organizations. Hence, I had no choice, but to respond positively by submitting a presentation topic.

I thought a lot about what I wanted to present and lead. I knew I wanted it to connect to my "word," the acronym that will lead my work this year: TOME - Teamwork, Observation/Reflection, Math w/STEAM, and Everyday Learning, and I knew that I wanted to choose a topic that would contribute towards creating a useful, valuable math learning community.

I decided to propose a 15-hour learning event that would help colleagues and I to keep up on the latest research and literature related to math teaching. In addition, I chose to include creating websites and "hosting conversations" information and practice within the learning event. Hence educators who choose to sign up will engage in the following activities:
  • create a learning/teaching website, 
  • read, study, and reflect on new research related to math education, 
  • engage in collaborative conversation that leads to wise action ("hosting conversations")
  • readily apply the research to their current math teaching
  • reflect and share the application of research to their teaching and its results
I believe this learning process will help the teachers who sign up and me when it comes to updating and deepening our mathematics teaching in many positive ways.

I've come to realize that the best presentations I offer are presentations I'm curious about and invested in--presentations that serve to create conversation, encourage collaboration, and result in positive student learning.

How does your system support collegial share and professional learning? How do you contribute to these efforts? When do these efforts result in meaningful learning and share?

I wonder if any or many will sign up for my class? One obstacle to this is that teachers' schedules are very tight leaving little room for extra study. Yet, one strength is that teachers can earn a salary increment credit and Professional Development Points (PDPs). Also, it will provide educators with evidence for their evaluation goals and provide them with a collegial team with whom to develop their math teaching and learning.

Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your wisdom, ideas, and questions as we teach and learn together with a goal of serving every child well.