First, define systems with students.
I like to begin with more sophisticated definitions such as the one I found on Wikimedia.
Then I like to pull the definition apart with main words:
- interacting or interdependent parts forming a complex/intricate whole.
- surrounded and influenced by its environment
- described by its structure and purpose
- expressed in its functioning or behavior
- also refers to a set of rules that governs structure or behavior
- What is the title(s) of this system?
- What are the parts of this system?
- What is the structure (framework) of this system? How can we model and describe this?
- Why was this system created? What is its purpose?
- How does this system work, act, or behave?
- What is the result or function of this system? What does this system help us to do?