Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Decimals: Online Models


Students are studying decimal numbers and computation. As part of that study they are creating and interpreting online models.

I find that Google Table and Draw is an excellent tool for creating online models, and that's why I'll have students use the online tools to study decimal models.

First, I'll have students sign into their Google math classroom account. Then I'll have them open this document. After that, I'll introduce them to model after model and how we'll mark-up, color, and read those models as representations of decimal values and computation. Then students will make their own models.

This is a good way to introduce a whole class to making and interpreting models. When we begin our fraction study in a few weeks we'll use a similar page to see the connection between decimals and fractions. That will be a good way to bridge the two units.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your wisdom, ideas, and questions as we teach and learn together with a goal of serving every child well.